Who We Are
Principles of 1000 Grandmothers
1. NONVIOLENCE - We commit to Nonviolence in all of our actions
2. CLIMATE CRISIS- While there are many issues of grave concern to all of us in 1000 Grandmothers, the focus of this group’s work is addressing the Climate Crisis, including doing whatever we can, at this moment in history, to expose, impede, and shut down the fossil fuel industry.
3. CLIMATE JUSTICE - We recognize that while the climate crisis effect all of us, poor people and people of color have been, historically and are today, disproportionately impacted by the climate crisis. Therefore, we commit ourselves to learn from and align ourselves with indigenous and frontline communities; and take stands and raise awareness in support of their struggles.
4. INTERGENERATIONAL PERSPECTIVE - We celebrate that we are elder women (and allies)– who want to speak out and act in support of future generations. We support the leadership of youth in the Climate Movement.
5. KINDNESS - We ground and guide our discussions, involvement and actions, with kindness to ourselves and others.
6. LIMITATIONS - We accept that as elder women, many of us have disabilities, family responsibilities , maybe work – Anything we do has to take this into account, design in and plan with flexibility.
7. CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE/DIRECT ACTION - We create and support opportunities for elder women to step up courageously to acts of civil disobedience if they are motivated to do so. At the same time, we are committed not to create a macho culture that promotes the notion that doing civil disobedience, is more important than doing every other thing that grandmothers choose to do to address the climate crisis.
8. COLLECTIVE ACTION - Our projects and initiatives are oriented towards collective action, and/or building the capacity to act collectively, about the climate crisis. We support every individual’s efforts to do what she/he can for the environment. But the focus of 1000 Grandmothers’ work is on actions whose power comes from the fact that people are acting together.
9. COMMUNITY BUILDING - We see community building as a core part of our organizing around climate change.
HOW TO ACT IN THE NAME OF THE 1000 GRANDMOTHERS
1. Any project or action taken in our name needs to be aligned with 1000 Grandmothers for Future Generations principles. To initiate an action, at least 3 people have to be on board for doing it.
2. Before a Grandmothers Group takes on an action or project, please check in with a point person on the Coordinating Committee. This will help with communications and make sure we are all on the same page.
3. Small group initiatives are thought about in the context of building the community of 1000 Grandmothers, as well as enhancing small group support and development.