Who We Are
Current Grandmothers Groups:
Committees: Coordinating Committee, Engagement Committee, Communications Committee
Circles: SF Circle, Redwood Circle, Marin Circle, Long Haul Circle, Green Grannies
Working Groups: Non-violent Direct Action (NVDA) - including: Art group, Action committee, Training committee, Facilitation/coordination; Legislative Working Group; Grandmothers Banking Working Group;
Principles of 1000 Grandmothers
1. NONVIOLENCE - We commit to Nonviolence in all of our actions
2. CLIMATE CRISIS- While there are many issues of grave concern to all of us in 1000 Grandmothers, the focus of this group’s work is addressing the Climate Crisis, including doing whatever we can, at this moment in history, to expose, impede, and shut down the fossil fuel industry.
3. CLIMATE JUSTICE - We recognize that while the climate crisis affects all of us, poor people and people of color have been, historically and are today, disproportionately impacted by the climate crisis. Therefore, we commit ourselves to learn from and align ourselves with indigenous and frontline communities; and take stands and raise awareness in support of their struggles.
4. INTERGENERATIONAL PERSPECTIVE - We celebrate that we are elder women (and allies)– who want to speak out and act in support of future generations. We support the leadership of youth in the Climate Movement.
5. KINDNESS - We ground and guide our discussions, involvement and actions, with kindness to ourselves and others.
6. LIMITATIONS - We accept that as elder women, many of us have disabilities, family responsibilities , maybe work – Anything we do has to take this into account, design in and plan with flexibility.
7. CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE/DIRECT ACTION - We create and support opportunities for elder women to step up courageously to acts of civil disobedience if they are motivated to do so. At the same time, we are committed not to create a macho culture that promotes the notion that doing civil disobedience, is more important than doing every other thing that grandmothers choose to do to address the climate crisis.
8. COLLECTIVE ACTION - Our projects and initiatives are oriented towards collective action, and/or building the capacity to act collectively, about the climate crisis. We support every individual’s efforts to do what she/he can for the environment. But the focus of 1000 Grandmothers’ work is on actions whose power comes from the fact that people are acting together.
9. COMMUNITY BUILDING - We see community building as a core part of our organizing around the climate crisis.
HOW TO ACT IN THE NAME OF THE 1000 GRANDMOTHERS
1.) Any project or action taken in our name needs to be aligned with the 1000 Grandmothers principles. To initiate an action at least 3 people have to be on board.
2.) Before a Grandmothers Group takes on an action or project, in our name, the idea needs to be communicated to the Coordinating Committee to get sign off. This will help with communication and make sure we are all on the same page. (we are working on developing this process further…)
3.) Small group initiatives are thought about in the context of building the community of 1000 Grandmothers, as well as enhancing self and small group support and development. When you are in a 1000 Grandmothers circle, work group, project or campaign, it is important to keep in mind that you are part of the whole 1000 Grandmothers for Future Generations network/organization; to stay in communication with the rest of the organization, and not to initiate new projects without that connection with the Coordinating Committee. When possible, it is helpful to have a designated ‘point person’ for each circle or work group to keep information flowing well with our Communications, and Engagement Work groups as well as our Coordinating Committee.
4) We understand that this organization/network will keep developing and changing as we learn from what we do, and refine our processes. Our hope is that everyone in 1000 Grandmothers will understand that we will make mistakes, and changes as we go along – and we will hold each other with patience and generosity.